Suzhou Kunqu Opera Theatre of Jiangsu Province简介
Suzhou Kunqu Opera Theatre of Jiangsu was formerly the Su and Kunqu Opera Troupe of Jiangsu. Established in 1956, it performed both Kunqu Opera and Su Opera. In the last few decades, it has been active in the southern part of Suzhou, Shanghai and Zhejiang. In 2001, the Su and Kunqu Opera Troupe of Jiangsu was expended and renamed the Suzhou Kunqu Opera Theatre of Jiangsu. The theatre has groomed four generations of performers, numbering ober a hundred, with Ji, Cheng, Hong and Yang as the middle character of their stages names. Wang Fang gained ‘Plum Flower Award’ for Chinese Opera twice, Sheng Fengying and Yu Jiulin both are owners of ‘Plum Flower Award’. In 2002, Wang Fang, Tao Hongzhen, Yang Xiaoyong and Lü Fuhai got ‘Promotion Kunqu Arts Award’ by UNESCO. The theatre specially invited famed Kunqu artists such as Wang Shiyu, Zhang Jiqing and Cai Zhengren to be artistic directors, as well as other famous artists to groom young performers. It has contributed to the salvaging, upholding and developing of the classical art form.
Its stock repertory includes The Peony Pavilion, The Palace of Eternal Life, Beauty Xishi, The Story of the White Rabbit, The Story of the Wooden Hairpin, Fifteen Strings of Cash, A Houseful of Lords, The Story of the Lute , The Injustice Done to Dou E and more than 200 excerpts of the traditional Kunqu Opera repertory etc. Young lovers’ editions The Peony Pavilion and The Palace of Eternal Life has been a sensational hit in Kunqu communities even cultural circles. The theatre has made highly successful performing tours to America, Italy, Britain, Greece, France, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.